Lately I’ve been stuck in a rut with my protein… sometimes you just need something other than chicken and brown rice to satisfy the tummy. Keeping some variety in my diet has always helped me stay on track. So time to mix it up!
Shrimp is one of my other favorite proteins because it’s so quick and easy to cook, plus it pairs great with salsas- in this case fruit salsa! There is something so satisfying about combining the flavor of rich shrimp with sweet mango, cilantro and a little bite from the onion. So many flavors in one bite, that combine perfectly for one delicious dish!I love using nothing but healthy ingredients to create a meal that makes even the pickiest of eaters beg for seconds! While the salsa screams summer, I can’t help but sneak some of this in before the sunny season rolls around. =) This dish can be made many ways- often in the warmer months I’ll break out the grill and cook my protein and veggies in a foil packet. I was surprised at how well this turned out the first time I tried it- the meat stays super moist and the veggies turn out super crisp, with that great grill flavor. You can also make a double batch of this and add the avocado separately when ready to eat, as it will brown if left in the fridge. I try to take advantage of cooking in bulk whenever possible!
This tastes great by itself, atop a salad or some warm brown rice. Hope you enjoy!
Shrimp with Mango Avocado Salsa
- optional: 1 cup brown rice (I used brown basmati rice)
- 1 lb medium shrimp (I used pre-cooked frozen shrimp)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 medium avocado, chopped
- 1 large mango, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- If you choose to serve this with brown rice, begin by cooking rice according to package directions.
- Defrost shrimp under running water.
- While shrimp is thawing, chop and peel the avocado, mango, tomato, onion and cilantro. Combine in a bowl with the lime juice and salt.
- Heat oil in skillet at medium heat, adding shrimp until heated through
- remove shrimp and serve with salsa atop warm bed of rice or by itself.