So not that I have anything against eating carbs, but your typical chicken enchiladas have very little chicken and whole LOTTA carbs.
In a desperate attempt to not give up my beloved enchiladas, I created a healthier, carb-friendlier option that still tasted bombastic and made hitting my macros a hell of a lot easier.
Each serving has 26g of protein and less than 20g of carbs!! Your typical serving of enchiladas has more than double the number of carbs versus my version!
You’re welcome friends. Make these stat and thank me later. They were going to be part of the coming cookbook, but I decided to be nice and share them with you. Aren’t I sweet? 😉
Without further ado here’s the recipe.
Healthy Low Carb Chicken Enchiladas
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp adobo seasoning
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2- 15oz cans of red enchilada sauce
- 8 - 8" reduced carb tortillas (I use Sonoma Carb Cutting from Trader Joes)
- 1 cup reduced (or full fat) mexican shredded cheese blend (or cheddar)
- *optional: handful sliced olives, cilantro
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9"x13" glass baking dish with nonstick spray
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken until browned and cooked through. Remove chicken and set aside
- Turn heat down to medium, adding onion, garlic, onion powder, adobo seasoning and sea salt. Cook, stirring occasionally for 6-8 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Next, add chicken and 1/2 can of enchilada sauce, turning heat to a low simmer
- Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in aluminum foil and warm in oven for 5 minutes
- Remove tortillas, dividing chicken mixture evenly among them. Roll up and place, seam side down in baking dish
- Spoon remaining enchilada sauce over the top. You may use more or less, to your preference
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove tin foil and bake uncovered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving
- Top with optional olives & cilantro
Nutritional Info (per serving): 245 cal / 9g fat / 19g carb / 26g pro